Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ciao da Firenze- Hello from Florence!

I honestly cannot believe I am here in Firenze! This has been the fullest week of my life. I cannot begin to tell you everything that I have seen and been a part of, or how beautiful Firenze is. Last week, after a very long flight and airports with far too many escalators that I only survived with help from my dear anziani, we finally arrived in Italy. We flew over the Swiss alps which are glorious and landed in Milan. President and Sister Wolfgramm met us there and off we went! The drivers in Italy are crazy, but it was fun. We had interviews with the mission president at the mission office and got our first taste of Italian pizza. I must say, EVERYTHING tastes better in Italy. We went as a group to the Duomo in Milan which is stunning and I said repeatedly how I felt someone picked me up and dropped me in architectural heaven. Firenze is even more beautiful though. In the piazza we had half an hour to talk to people and hand out a Book of Mormon. After struggling for a while, we finally met a youngish man whom I talked to and gave a Book of Mormon. It was my first real conversation in Italian in Italy! We got gelato, which of course it ranks anywhere from delicious to unbelievable depending on the place you go, and walked through the Duomo. So cool! We went back to the mission home, freshened up from our more than a day worth of grime and airport dust, and had the most exquisite dinner. Sister Wolfgramm made the best lasagna I have ever tasted using a traditional Italian recipe and the fruit was beyond belief. I never knew it could taste so wonderful. We spent a beautiful night in a hotel and in the morning headed to the church to meet our trainers. When they paired me with Sorella Jacobsen I said shut up so loud it was embarrassing but I still cannot believe I am serving in Firenze. It is an absolute dream. The only thing difficult was saying goodbye to my MTC family, but we are all so excited and so ready to work in a place we already love more than we can explain. It was a challenge between my companion and I to get all of my luggage to the train and to our apartment but we did it. It was a train ride of more than three hours from Milan to Firenze, but riding through Italy is an experience i cannot express nor forget. Non ho le parole dispiegare. Sorella Jacobsen and I have already been working like mad and I love it! Doing casa(knocking on doors) is my favorite! Everyone lives in apartments and you have to buzz in to have someone open the door, it is quite an experience. We walk a lot and ride the bus and trains everywhere because Firenze is molto grande (very large). It is so beautiful. The river is beautiful, the apartments are beautiful, and the historical cites are beyond belief. We went to a museum today and saw the statue of David and an array of other glorious works of art. The Duomo of Firenze is likely the most beautiful building I have ever seen. It is exquisite and unique and artistic and huge. It is green and pink and ancient. There is absolutely nothing like it. Being here is like a beautiful dream and I still cant believe it. 
My trainer is amazing. She plays the piano beautifully and she can understand all of the Italians. Which is good, because I cant. Though I am improving. She has only been here for two transfers, she is that awesome. I just love her. There is a dialect here called Fiorentino that I hope I can pick up on. I want to be as proud as the people here to be in and from Firenze. We have this sweet investigator named Erica who is in a rest home sort of place. She grew up in Switzerland and sometimes says Italian words with a hint of this beautiful French accent that I just adore. She struggled so much before with praying out loud and my first lesson with her I heard her pray without help. She is incredibly sweet. She and Sorella Jacobson speak in German to each other sometimes too, and though I can't understand it, my companion is just awesome! Trilingual! We had the most amazing miracle this week. One of the members of our little branch (there are two in Firenze) introduced us to her friend Leda who has already read the Book of Mormon, knows it is true, and is reading the Doctrine and Covenants. She is so ready to be baptized and there has not been a baptism here in a while. It is unbelievable and she is already so strong and so prepared. We have talked to some of the most amazing people in the park or on the street, I wish I could tell you all about them and about how much I love my new home and love serving the Lord here, but I may never have adequate words. Italy and I were meant for each other and I am determined to do all I can for my Savior and my God here in Firenze
Right now, I am sitting at a computer in a little spot, heavily influenced by India, struggling to use the foreign keyboard, but enjoying every minute I have to experience something new. I am so excited for the day when I won't have to work as hard to understand the incredible people around me and I am so grateful for the opportunity to share with them the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I just want to tell everyone how much He loves them. I love you all so much! I wish I had more time! Much love from one of only two sister missionaries in all of glorious Tuscany! I am blessed beyond the telling of it! 
Sorella Chandra Lloyd

1 comment:

Amy said...

It is so fun that blogs have been invented! It's nice to hear all about Chandra's experiences and to see her photos. I am so jealous of all the great memories and experiences she will gain. I am proud of her too!