Saturday, July 9, 2011

Settimana Quattro al MTC:Four Weeks at the MTC

Ciao la mia famiglia e i miei amici! (Hello my family and my friends)
 
This week has been incredibly full and truthfully, exhausting, but I have never felt better! I don't even know where to begin. I probably say that a lot but I simply have so much to say and so little time to express it fully.
Thursday was a very exciting day because I had the wonderful opportunity to be immunized. Hurray! I had to get three shots. Yes. Three. It was a beautiful experience. My left arm hurt for five days and no amount of exercise or massaging could put it at ease. But it is okay, because I feel marvelous now. There was an Elder Rodriguez there from Spain who also had to get three shots. He spoke very little English, but kept telling me how much he did not like shots and showed me how his hands were sweating. I gave him the thumbs up sign and wished him good luck. He was very distressed and it made me feel so tough. We got tasty lollipops afterward--Savannah blueberry dum dum sucker for me (The best). We have a good time greeting each other now because we survived the trauma of immunizations together. I love making friends!
Friday Sorella Smith and I had a good time going outside for palestra and we ran around and did big dance leaps on the sidewalk, which I am certain looked hysterical, but was oh so fun. We played a game in class called "il nativo" (the native) and had to speak as much Italian as we could. It was so great. We all still have a lot to learn, but I just love it.
Saturday we taught Samuele and the lesson was alright but he seemed tired and Sorella Smith got after him for it. It was really amusing though I am not certain how appropriate. I just love her bluntness. We have been learning to be more communicative with the Spirit and really rely on it in teaching and it is such a blessing to learn to do so and such an experience when you can feel the Spirit of the Lord working in you to teach. The Lord's hand is in everything we do and say. Especially here. The MTC is such a magical place!  We had a fourth of July celebration on the second as well. We sang "Yankee Doodle" "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and "You're a Grand Old Flag." The speaker for the special devotional part was awesome. He kept talking of patriotism and liberty and what a blessing it is to have it here. We did the pledge of allegiance and sang all three verses of the "Star Spangled Banner." Which, I loved of course. They had a bagpipe band play for us!!! I love the bagpipes and they were really terrific. They had elders and sisters carry flags from around the world and march to the bagpipe music. Anziano Angel got to carry the Italian flag. He was so excited about it and we were all really moved both in patriotism for our own country and for the opportunity to carry our message to the wonderful people of Italy. "Hark All Ye Nations." We went outside and they gave us ice cream bars and let us watch the Stadium of Fire firework show. At times it was hard to see for the trees but our district ran around together to find a better spot and it was really fun. The fireworks were beautiful. I just love the ones that look like gold glitter and sparkle and dissipate very slowly. It was a great time, but we all stayed up far too late.
Sunday we had Mission Conference which they do once a month here for everyone at the MTC. It is two hours long like stake conference and I was asked last week if I would say the closing prayer. It was quite an experience. Sorella Smith and I sat on the stand and I prayed completely in English for the first time in weeks. That's right folks! I prayed in front of more than 2500 people. Crazy. But it was a really spiritually uplifting meeting. The fireside Sunday night was absolutely the BEST! Jenny Oaks Baker came and talked and played the violin for us. She is absolutely incredible!!! Her amazing grace filled my soul! I can't even describe it. She can make the violin sing and cry like I have never heard. Such spirit and passion. It was beautiful. Her little girls played for us as well. It was so sweet. Every experience here is awesome!
Monday Sorella Smith was sick and stayed in bed all day, but I got a lot of very productive studying done! I love studying Italian outloud. It is so beautiful.
More and more I have realized here how much the challenges I went through have enabled me to help others and I cannot even describe how wonderful it feels to recognize the Lord's hand in every minute and to be lead by him to help others. It is a miracle I am here and a miracle I can share his love with those who are going through things that I understand. What an incredible blessing. He gives me such strength. I love you all! Pray for the people of Italy! 
 
Sorella Chandra Marie Lloyd

1 comment:

tamy scheurn said...

Why is it that the young men or should I say the Anziani can't write as eloquent as the Sorelli!! Sorella Llyod's letters are beautiful and you can just feel her enthusiasm!! She will do wonderful things in Italy!!! What day does sh leave the MTC? Thanks for sharing her wonderful blog!! HUGS!!