So, a part from discovering that one of our investigators has two wives and they all live together, all is well and beautiful in Firenze. And don't let that little thing concern you. I am worrying enough. But I know the Lord will help all things work out in the best way possible and every day here is a sogno d'oro. Much love, cari!
Saturday, September 10, 2011
August 31 Email: Sogni D'Oro--Golden Dreams
I am at this moment sitting in a little artistic internet point having spent the day joying in all that Firenze has to offer, perfectly contented. This week has been incredibly full and incredibly rewarding. The Italians are beginning to return from their holidays, which means more people a casa, and more opportunities to share the hope of the gospel! Sono benedetta. So much has happened this week and all the days run together. It is a blur of ringing bells, gelato, knocking on doors, riding trains and buses, and talking to people from all over the world. We met a girl from China who spoke a little Italian and a little English and we spoke to her in this half Italian half English mix of words and were actually able to communicate. It is kind of amazing. We are teaching a woman from Nigeria, we have an appointment with one from Peru, and one of our investigators is from Switzerland. We have met people from Sri Lanka, Argentina, Greece, Brazil, Ukraine, Camaroon, and dozens of other places, not too mention and array of beautifully expressive Italians. I love the people here! A few days ago we got stuck in one of the elevators in a palazzo where we were knocking on doors, and just when I was about to panic, thinking how horrific being trapped in an elevator the size of a bathroom cupboard would be, Sorella Jacobsen, in all her glory and super-human strength (of heart and physique), threw her weight into the door and we were free! I will be forever indebted to my amazing trainer for my life, well-being, and sanity. The interesting thing is that before we nearly died in the elevator we were feeling a little down, just tired, it had been a long day, but when we escaped our tiny prison, we started laughing hysterically and were re-energized. It was exactly what we needed. Though, I would prefer to not have that experience again. Italian elevators are TINY. We would've had to die standing up. I am extremely grateful for my companion. We were invited to dinner at the home of Gabrielle, Giulia, and Silvia, and that was quite an experience. Silvia made spaghetti alla carbonara and fed me more pasta than I have ever had in my life, followed with eggs and bacon, because they heard that Americans love eggs and bacon, followed by a crostata. I was nigh unto exploding, but it was delicious and they were SO nice. At district meeting yesterday Anziano Heninger told me I sang like a Disney Princess, which is really quite a nice compliment. I think. I always come away from district meeting incredibly inspired and absolutely fearless. It makes me want to talk to everyone! Other missionaries always inspire me to better myself and work harder and I love that. We decided to sing to a woman in one of the palazzi we entered yesterday and it was such a sweet experience we decided to sing more often. Even when people don't want to here about the church, they like hymns, because they like Jesus. And it is a nice way to touch people's lives in a small way. Father in Heaven is so mindful of His children. We met a 93 year old woman and just let her talk to us, which was a challenge because she had almost no teeth, but she was so faithful and talked of how prayer had always helped her and she cried as she thanked us for stopping to talk with her. We gave her a restoration pamphlet with a picture of Christ on it and she put it next to her heart. She said, "Vi ringrazio con tutto il cuore."(Thank you with all my heart) As we watched her walk away to water the plants, I was so amazed at the love Christ has for each of us, and I was so glad I said hello. Even when people aren't interested we can brighten their lives with a bit of the spirit and love of God. We met a man named Giorgio who let us into his apartment. He has two daughters and is going through a separation. A friend of his named Chiara was also there. She was very catholic, and not very interested. He was interested in listening and talking and told us a lot about how he has struggled and how he feels it unjust to start praying just because he is in need of help, when he hasn't prayed for so long. He talked of understanding that there was a spiritual way of knowing things and said that he had felt it before at church and he felt it with us. In the end, he was not ready for our gospel message, but he let us pray with him. I was able to pray, which sometimes is all I can do when I know so little of the language, and I am so grateful I could do such a small thing that made such a difference. His catholic friend kept looking through the restoration pamphlet and Giorgio just cried. I hope one day he can find the truth here in the gospel because I know he felt the spirit. I am so grateful to be doing this work. I feel like I made a small difference in Giorgio's life and things like that are little miracles from heaven that show me why I am here, why the Lord called me to Firenze, and just how incredibly the Lord loves each of his children. I am ever amazed at all the little ways I can see the Lord's hand in this work and I am so grateful to be a part of it. I cannot express it. I can't even try.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment