***Anziano-Elder; anziani-elders
Letter to family:
6/22/11
Cari tutti, (dear all)
So much has happened this week I scarcely know where to begin. One thing I know for certain is that the MTC is a place of learning and growth, and a fountain of spiritual nourishment. It’s like a greenhouse for missionaries! My most ridiculous and continual challenge is that I still don’t know where anything is. I would be completely lost without Sorella Smith. She knew her way around within the first hour of being here. I’ve been here two weeks and still don’t know how to get to the cafeteria. To which I have walked three times a day for 14 days. My sense of direction is seriously lacking. I am beginning to wonder how I ever got anywhere. I guess it is just one more reason to be grateful I have my companion. She is good at all I lack.
Last week, Sorella Smith had to go to the doctor, so we spent what seemed like a great many hours at the doctor and then waiting to talk to a member of the district presidency. She is alright, but they took us off of early morning service assignments on Mondays until further notice. I am probably more grateful for that than I should be. I know I should be devastated we don’t get to take out dozens of trash cans and wash drinking fountains. I’m just not. However, since we do both like the opportunity to serve, we are trying to do service for whomever we can whenever we can. President Hacking advised Sorella Smith to have our whole district participate in giving her a blessing. It was hard for her to ask, but she did it. She asked Anziano Hymas to do the anointing and Anziano Angel to act as voce while all 8 of our anziani stood in the circle. I have felt the power in similar circles, but the amount of spirit in a circle of the Lord’s missionaries, all with a common aim for one of their mission family is just overwhelmingly incredible. I was the only one outside of it and it touched me in ways I can’t express. I think more than Sorella Smith needed that blessing. Our anziani were moved & we were all brought so much closer & given even more of the Spirit. It was so special. Such inspired direction.
Anziano Strong told us that the best way to stop razor bumps and keep your legs smooth is to put unscented deodorant on your legs after shaving. That is what he usually does when he shaves his legs, but he left his pink lady razor at home. Yes, he was serious. He likes to be clean shaven. Don’t judge. Sorella Smith and I decided that to show our anziani that we love them and to make them feel at home we would buy a pink razor and an unscented deodorant for each companionship. We gave them to them last Wednesday night as a one week celebration and told them we wanted them to feel at home, but that as companionships they would have to share. The looks on their faces were priceless. Anziano Strong’s was joyous. And, we all had a good laugh. Anziano Pitt shaved his legs in striped the next day.
Sunday afternoon we went on our weekly walk to the temple, but this week was even more beautiful than usual because it was raining!!! Yes, that is a lot of exclamation points and my English teachers would likely frown, but I just love the rain. It makes me absolutely giddy. We took some pretty pictures at the temple and when walking back I couldn’t help myself and started dancing and skipping in the rain. Which admittedly, now that I think on it, is probably not the most appropriate thing for a missionary to do. But it felt wonderful. Shhh…don’t tell.
I participated in choir this week and it was great for two reasons. One, there was a different director this week and he is far more humorous than the last one, which is good because I love to laugh. I kind of felt like I was amongst drama friends again. Two, we sang my absolute favorite song in the whole world. “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing,” says more about how I feel than anything else I’ve ever heard. If I ever had the opportunity to meet our Savior it is exactly what I would want to say to him. “…tune my heart to sing thy grace…O to grace how great a debtor daily I’m constrained to be…bind my wandering heart to thee.” I owe Him everything.
By the way there is nothing like singing “Called to Serve” at the MTC. Amazing!
On Monday, Sorella Smith and I were walking back to our residence hall after palestra er, gym, and she dropped her key and blue card over a railing into an area of plants and cement where doors don’t exist. So, in order to retrieve it, I climbed out of a window in an empty basement classroom. I am sure it was very amusing for all the elders attending other classes with their windows open watching some girl in gym clothes climb over plants and short cement walls, rummaging for some unknown object, sacrificing her lady like manner and dignity as well as a good portion of the flesh on her right knee in order to accomplish her quest. It was quite an adventure and I am glad I was successful. Anything that makes the day different is a worthy venture.
We have taught two lessons to our “investigator,” Samuele, and plan to teach a third tonight. It is amazing trying to teach with the Spirit. It is something I have to learn to do more fully and trust more completely. Trying to teach in Italian is an awesome experience, I just so often don’t have all the words I need to express how I feel. I may be a little farther along with the language, but I think Sorella Smith communicates with Spirit in a beautiful way, much better than I do. I am not only learning Italian, but learning more fully the language of the Spirit. Our teacher, Fratella Pfieffer, let us vent our struggles yesterday. He just absorbed it with a positive attitude that amazes me. He is funny and incessantly lit up with spiritual light. He’s bright and optimistic. I want to be more like that. Most days I have a very good attitude, but to be so full of the Light of Christ and a zest for life and all of its opportunities would be awesome. His spirit is infectious and I am so grateful to have that kind of example to learn from every day. I am learning always to be grateful for the challenges. I am being transformed. I have already grown so much. I am better, brighter, and ever more in awe of the love God has for each of us. This calling, this opportunity to share His love is indescribable. I feel so much love for everyone I come to know here and I love the people of Italy more each day. I can’t imagine what it will be like when I actually meet them. I feel like when we go through any difficulty the Lord is just finishing us. I know He is finishing me and will be for the rest of my life. I am trying to be more like Him every day so I can more perfectly serve His children. I t is just such a blessing. I love it!
Our branch president, President Johnston shared with us a saying he learned on his mission to Milan and he never forgot, it is, “sogni d’oro.” It means “dreams of gold.” So much better than “sweet dreams” in my opinion. It’s beautiful. And that is what I am wishing all of you, “dreams of gold.” I love you all more than I can express and so does our Heavenly Father. Come to Christ, walk with him and abide in His truth and everlasting, all-encompassing love. It is incredible how blessed we are. Write & tell me everything!
Vi amo,
Sorella Chandra Marie Lloyd
No comments:
Post a Comment