Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pasta alla casalinga!--Pasta at Home!

Oh dear ones, you are all about to be exceedingly jealous because I spent almost all day at a member's house learning to make various Italian wonder foods. Yes. It was delicious. We learned to make homemade meatballs that were extraordinary, artichoke risotto, and lasagna with pasta we made by hand, la besciamela, homemade ragù and oodles of cheese. I can now make farfalle and other various forms of pasta as well. Oh! and pastry creme. I feel very knowledgeable and cultured now. When I return we will all have a grande festa di cibo italiano!  Looking back on this week it has been a very delightful one. Friday we taught our investigator, Mandy, about the law of chastity and there were a few other members present, all of whom I am grateful for because they said exactly what needed to be said. It was an incredible lesson and she can see the blessings of the gospel in the lives of the members. I am so glad we can do things with members! After the lesson we had a girl's night relief society party (still at the Herndon's) with those sisters and Blake. We watched Saturday's Warrior. I felt so at home. I was singing along and laughing at all the corny parts. We all had a great time. And Mandy liked it! The Herndon's keep pushing for her to get baptized the 18th so that they can be here to see it because they go home two days later. We would love that, and though we know she is amazing and ready, she has to feel it, too. We set a baptismal date with Mariana and both she and her daughter came to church. We had an awesome lesson with Massimiliano and the amazing Fratello Cavallaro, wherein they had to compete against each other in a trivia type game. It was so much fun, and he made it to sacrament meeting only a little late on Sunday. Monday we did a family home evening with the American military ward wherein we did Book of Mormon Jeopardy. It was surprisingly competitive, but very enjoyable. I just love those people! Last night, at our Italian FHE, we watched The Testaments. Ana , a member, was talking a lot, as usual, but Mariana felt the spirit anyway. I think my favorite part of the evening was when, in the film, they kissed, and Ana nearly collapsed. She was very pale and said, "Non si può baciare." And we said, "Si, si può." She was stunned. I think she may have been taught the law of chastity by someone very reserved. Her face was hysterical when I told her I had kissed lots of times. There are many amusing and funny moments in missionary work, many challenges, and even more miracles. I love being a missionary and having this chance to dedicate my heart to my Heavenly Father. Even when it is difficult and I realize they are things I haven't turned completely over to him, I realize also that I can change and do better. He is the Master builder of our lives if we will let Him be and stop hindering the good work He is doing. If I can give Him everything I am, He will give it back to me so much better than it was, I will be better and stronger than I am or ever could be on my own. He gives me so much and teaches me so much. I am so blessed. I love you all so very much. Give Him your problems this week in faith and watch Him make miracles and light where there was only darkness and doubt.
Sorella Chandra Lloyd

No comments: