Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pasqua, Pasquetta e troppo cibo--Passover, Easter and too much food

Buongiorno tutti! A lovely day it is here in Pordenone, though slightly chilly as it has been raining for the past five or six days. I loved it. We have had some delightful adventures so I will just get started. Last Wednesday Sorella Rigonat taught us to make la pastiera napoletana for Easter and it was incredible. When I get home, I will make it gladly because that was something unique and delicious. Sorella Villone showed us how to make these cookies her family has made for generations and we have had a great time cooking together. I colored eggs using red onion peel and it worked and they were lovely and all natural. Yeah! I used our family recipe for Italian cookies and we gave them to people for Easter. Roberto nearly had a fit and died he thought they were so delicious. Thanks for sending me that recipe grandma! Sunday we had the privilege of listening to Mandy give her first talk in church which was so neat. It just was amazing to see how the gospel has helped her and to listen to her bear her testimony of the Savior. I really feel grateful and blessed to have been able to watch that and to have had a small part in helping her. We went to the Giurintano's for Easter and ate far too much delicious food (gnocchi, a type of rolled up roast with boiled egg and cheese in the middle, potatoes, bread, Sicilian treats called Genovesi, and a bit of the Colomba). Sorella Rigonat gave us homemade ravioli and the best focaccia i have eaten with egg, tomato, olives, mushrooms, and prosciutto on it. Are your mouths drooling? Just wait. Our new investigators Glenda and Luca invited us for Pasquetta. Usually around here they go on a picnic, but Glenda is from the South, which means hours of eating slowly until you may explode. fortunately, every morsel is delicious. They had an indoor fire and we had roasted artichokes, trout, la capponatta, sicilian salsiccia, peppers, penne pasta with a tuna and tomato sauce, gelato, and mini pastries they brought all the way from Sicily and were the most incredible things I had ever tasted. Ve lo giuro. They had ones made of almond flour and sugar and then chocolate ones covered in dark chocolate with the best chocolate flavor I have ever had. I was astounded. And very full. We also tried some type of tuna egg stuff that is very salty and very expensive, and was a unique experience for sure. Tuesday we had to sneak out of the church because the movers came and blocked the front door. It is very exciting though, because Sunday we will be in the beautiful big new chapel and we are all so excited. Yesterday we had zone conference in Verona. Sorella  and i were a little early so we wandered around in the rain and it was lovely. I learned so much and feel so much more ready to take on anything in my mission. We even taught on the train.  I just love serving the Lord. Other missionary news here: Clarence's wife Vicky is basically ready to be baptized, Massimiliano has is baptismal interview tomorrow, we will be teaching the whole ward about missionary work with the amazing Fllo Cavallaro in a couple weeks, and everything else is moving forward. We just keep going and strive to have the spirit and miracles happen which makes me very happy. Love you all so much! Have a marvelous week.
Sorella Lloyd

No comments: