Sunday, April 22, 2012

Trasferimenti, miracoli, e basilico--Transfers, miracles, and basil

Ciao tutti! What a week of exciting happenings! Where o where to begin....? Transfers? Miracles? Nah. We'll save the best for last. Have fun waiting, amici. So, last Thursday I got a haircut, which was oh so nice. I feel all ready for summer. And a lot more stylish because I no longer look like a hobo with hair that dries in the shape of a jellyfish. As for miracles, there are many. Sorella Villone's very inactive husband finally stayed for a lesson and came to church. Usually he only talks to us about English and Jazz music, so it was quite an accomplishment. Massimiliano had his baptismal interview and it went great! Elder Jacobs did it because the elders from Udine couldn't make it, and he doesn't speak Italian, so I got to play translator. It was actually a really neat experience. Max is so ready for baptism and he is just bravo. He wants to make a real change in his life and he is doing it. I have seen the changes in him and am so excited for his baptism the 28th. He asked Fllo Cavallaro to do the baptism and their whole family seems very proud of him. So am I. The Spirit of truth works wonders. Saturday we met two Ghana young men, Richard and Michael, and only had time to invite them to church, but amazingly and delightfully they showed up. They had a good experience and we taught them the first lesson yesterday, gave them books of Mormon, and they accepted a soft baptismal invite. Brilliant! Our beautiful new church building is finally open! It is gorgeous and everyone is so happy, so excited, and so proud and grateful at the same time. Church on Sunday was beautiful and the spirit there is so strong ti is incredible. It's alarm system and fancy keys that work by swiping them across the knob, are a little intense, but it all is just lovely. Vescovo Liccioli asked me to sing on Sunday and dear Sorella Cavallaro played the new baby grand piano for me. I sang where can I turn for peace and afterward our dear Fratello Giurintano told me I was "Maria Callas in miniatura" which is quite a compliment coming from him. He loves opera, and she is his favorite. Yesterday we taught Claudio for the second time and watched the restoration film with him. He read all the way to 1 Nephi 16 and accept a soft baptismal invite. We are so blessed to have such bravi simpatizzanti. In other news: my amazing companion Sorella Sloan is about to be transferred to the other side of the country...Torino. As she is watching me type this I had better be extra nice. She is the best companion ever! Quite a gem! She taught me so much and I am very sad to see her go. However, she will probably have an incredible time in Torino with a companion who is far less crazy than me. Thankfully.
 
This is Sorella Sloan.  I know that what my companion has said is true.  Except for the last part.  Friends and family of Sorella Lloyd, SHE IS AWESOME!   I considered protesting my transfer from Pordenone to President or finding a way to put Sorella Lloyd in another suitcase and send her with me to Torino, but unfortunately she is just perfect for Pordenone and the new sisters need her desperately.  Thank you for helping her become the amazing singer, cook, Italian speaker and gospel teacher that she is, and write her letters!  Love, Sorella Sloan
 
Dear loved ones, I know you will never believe that Sister Sloan wrote that, but to prove it to you, I tell you I would never say the new sisters need me desperately. That is far too strong a phrase. Desperation is not a good thing in missionary work. I would be concerned for the state of everything in Pordenone and my health  if two desperate missionaries were  coming here. Fortunately, they are awesome. And I just realized I forgot to say who they are. or to tell you we will be a companionship of three. Tomorrow we will welcome Sorella Walton and Sorella Forbes to our lovely little Pordenone, and bid a mostly tearful farewell to Sorella Sloan, who, I may add again, is amazing and has changed my life for the better.
 
NOW who's using the "strong phrases", Sorella Lloyd?  This is Sorella Sloan again.  I haven't changed Sorella Lloyd's life...but I have been blessed by hers.  And her German pancakes, which, by the way, are delicious.
 
I can cook.  Most of the time.
 
All of the time, Sorella Lloyd.
 
I am just glad I had Sorella Sloan to eat all of my cooking.
 
Any time.  Ship it to Torino.
 
Sure.
 
Excellent.
 
Yes, family, we are always like this.
 
This is what happens when you have instant messaging withdrawal.
 
Okay. Well, now we have used up every last second of time we could pay for, so I will leave you for another week. Have a terrific day and do some good. I love you all and will be here again next week with more news and miracles from the city that only sleeps.
 
PS:Mom, Sorella Rigonat gave Sorella Sloan and I Turkish basil seeds. This strange and exotic basil is both red and green, like a very flavorful Christmas. We can plant them when I get home. Aren't you excited? Love ya!
 

No comments: