Cari miei,
vi voglio bene! This week has been magical. Truly. The end of last week
was very rainy. Torrential. And more than once we got soaked. I loved
it. Now, however, the sun is out and everything is beautiful, so I still
love it. There is cotton fluff stuff in the air so much that it looks
like it is snowing in the sunshine. It is kind of amazing. And
yesterday, on our tremendously long bus ride into the country for an
appointment, we rode pass fields of red poppies, which are honestly some
of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Poppies grow wildly
here, everywhere. It is lovely. I love being in Pordenone because it is
close to the mountains and to the Italian countryside, vineyards,
farmhouses, fields, and other agricultural and god-created wonders. La
primavera è bellissima qua. Non voglio mai partire. Saturday evening
Pietro, the grandson of the Giurintano's was baptized as was Mario, our
miracle referral
from La Spezia. Piero was very nervous and said the water was too hot,
which has probably never happened before, but he was happy and his
uncle, Antonio, who baptized him, was just so great with him. He was
kind and did a great job and then bore his testimony about it on Sunday,
which is difficult for him because he has a form of autism. I was so
proud. And Mario is just amazing. He is honestly the most humble,
teachable, seventy year old man I have ever met. He was radiantly happy.
His wife has been a member for years and to see how this change has
changed things for them is incredible. I feel so blessed to have seen
it. The spirit was so strong there. Fratello Durazzani brought me back
panforte from Tuscany just because he knows I love Toscana. Is that not
the sweetest thing? I felt so loved, I could've cried. I never bought
one while I was there because I thought it a little expensive, so I did
not know what to say. I thanked him about a thousand
times. I probably embarrassed him. We watched the restoration film with Vicky and her husband Clarence and they liked it so much, Clarence got
up, did not say anything to us, got snacks and crackers, and started it
again. It was hysterical. We didn't know what to do. I have never had
that happen before. I guess he figured it just could not get any better
without crackers. We laughed so hard afterward. Speaking of laughter, we
have had many a humorous moment this week. We were doing
casa (knocking doors) the other day and an aging woman opened her door
to us. She immediately started speaking a strange language we suspect is
a dialect and then said, "Vergognatevi per la vita che fate!" and
slammed the door in our faces. After a moment of stunned silence we all
burst into barely contained laughter. I wish we could've left her a
chastity pamphlet, as it seems we have so much of which to be ashamed.
Ha ha ha. Unforgettably funny. And to all
you dears who know how much and how often I sing wherever I am, you
will appreciate this little phrase from Sister Walton, "Sister Lloyd, I
am really grateful you are good at singing, because if you weren't this
would be really hard." I have obviously not changed at all. Today we
went to the beautiful Venezia and were privileged and amazed to go in
San Marco (the church). It was incredible. Gold mosaics everywhere. I
was truly amazed. We also went into the Friar's church (la basilica
Santa Maria gloriosa dei frari) and saw the altarpiece by Titiano and
other pieces by Bellini and Donatello. Amidst our amazed gazes at the
art, we saw Rick Steves. Yes, Rick Steves. If you ever watch an episode
on PBS where he talks about that particular church, dear friends, I was
there the day he was and they were filming. I could be famous. Just
kidding. Now, to finish off, and leave you hungry for more, I had
falafel in a wrap today, which was SO delicious and
this week I made strawberry tiramisù which may be the most delicious
springtime dessert in existence. The church is true and the Book of
Mormon is the word of God. My testimony of that is strengthened daily.
This is Gods work and I am so grateful to be a part of it. I love you
all to pieces!
Sorella Lloyd
No comments:
Post a Comment