Tuesday, June 19, 2012

la rinascita -- The Rebirth



Buon giorno! I have had another beautiful week as a missionary, marveling at how quickly the time goes and trying to grasp every fleeting moment. On the eighth I made one year in the mission. I can't believe it. Time passes so quickly and thinking about this time ending creates an ache that doesn't subside quickly. But I am very happy and always experiencing more wonders of Italy, and more miracles with the people that live here. Ana took us to meet a dear childhood friend of hers who has also been living in Italy. She was so happy to share this with her, I wish I could've captured the joy on her face. she is one of the best member missionaries I know because she is always working to be better and to share the love and joy she has found in the gospel. It is beautiful. Mandy took us for gelato and I got dark chocolate and apricot flavors, which were delicious, and we were able to read her a little story about princesses and the plan of salvation and remind her how special she is. Vincenza finally has a definite baptismal date--the 30th. Greta, Norman's sister had a little girl on Saturday, and we are all happy for her and her husband and that now they will be able to attend Vincenza's baptism. We were finally able to see Glenda and Luca again. He is still in a cast and of course there are still problems, but it was a nice lesson. I am not sure if they want to do this or not, but I really hope we can help them somehow. Luca did invite us back, so that makes me happy. We found Joseph and his family and got a few other numbers doing finding and we are excited to go back and share more of our message, though Sorella Modugno is less than excited to teach again in English. She is great, but she doesn't believe me. We were very happy to get 20 lessons again, though it was close, Heavenly Father blessed us. We had lunch with Erica, a member who works at Naturasì. She fed us falafel and other organic health food wonders and we made a crown with her daughter Alice and talked about the things we need to do to show we are princess in the kingdom of God. It was lovely. At FHE Americana we built a human pyramid of the steps of the gospel and had a delightful time. Yesterday we had to stay in because sorella was sick, but it gave us the opportunity to talk and to make three sets of the armor of God for Alessandro, a less active, and his two little boys. We plan to try it out on Massimiliano tonight and we are both quite excited. We're crazy, but it's fun. Yesterday it rained like crazy and the lighting was so loud I squealed. I was looking out the open window when it struck, so I think I had a right to be a little frightened. Today we went wandering around the market and the center of the city and ate gorgonzola di capra, artisan bread, and little balls of mozzarella di bufala that almost burst in your mouth. Minus the gorgonzola, it was the most delicious lunch I have ever had. So simple, yet nothing like it. I bought a little book by Luigi Pirandello that will be the first book I read when I get home, and comes recommended by my companion, so I can take a little bit of Italian literature with me. My companion was terrific this week and helped me resolve questions and problems I have had for so long, helping me see I don't have to fear. She helped me feel human, and be okay with it. I feel so much lighter.different, but still the same.  It was the answer to so many of my prayers and I hope I can just continue to change for the better and at the same time, accept who I am, because it is only by accepting myself that I can love and change myself. I am not perfect. I knew that. But now, I am more willing to accept it. It is hard to explain how I feel, but I am grateful that Heavenly Father sends others to answer our prayers and to lift us, help us, and comfort us, and he gives us those answers when we are ready for them, even if it takes a year in the mission, or years out of your life. He answers when we are ready and in the best way possible. Because He loves us. I love you all so much. and I hope you know it. 
Un abbraccio,
Sorella Lloyd

No comments: