Saturday, June 30, 2012
Murano, Burano, vetro, e merletto
Oh dear friends, I have so much to report and so very little time. This
was a week a bit difficult for us with the work being kind of slow and
then having both a zone conference and a blitz at Verona but we have
learned a lot and enjoyed a lot. Thursday's training was terrific and I
was really glad to get to spend some time with other wonderful
missionaries and learn together. Friday we were able to teach Ana about
the temple and she is so excited to be there this week for the first
time. I am so happy for her, I can't describe it. She is crazy, but so
special. Saturday night we had a party for the close of English class.
We helped Sorella Durazzani prepare the food, I made cakes to take, and
we all ate far too much, but the indoor grill made everything delicious.
We had a great time and I tasted panna cotta for the first time as
well, which is quite good. Sunday church was great and afterward they
had the film activity for
couples and Fratello Lotito who is a psychologist did an introduction
that was enlightening even for us as missionaries. I learned a lot and
at the end everyone was touched. Sorella Canfild called us with a
referral of a young girl who came to church on Sunday and her parents
and we are excited to teach them. She says they are so ready for the
gospel. We blitzed Verona and I got to go on a bike ride on the highway
and into the countryside to teach an adorable lady named Silvana who was
listening to Mamma Mia when we got there. She grew up at or near
Firenze and was so sweet, even trying to feed us alcoholic cake. We
reminded her about the word of wisdom and how we don't drink alcohol and
she said, "That's okay. Next time I will make it with coffee." I love
Italians. On the way home we had to wait to switch trains for an hour so
we got Chinese food. Won ton soup and steamed things whose name I can't
remember were delicious. For P-day we went to Venezia
and then I was able to ride for the first time in a boat (more of a bus
that floats on water in this case) to go to Murano and Burano two
lovely islands by Venice. Murano is famous for glass and we were able to
watch a group of men glassblowing, making a chandelier of sorts. It was
so beautiful. They almost never spoke to each other, but moved in sync
to help each other complete each piece. It was like a dance with
glowing bits of glass and fire. I was mesmerized. Unforgettable. Burano
is adorable. The buildings are very colorful and the whole place is very
small, but it is famous for lace and we went in so many stores just
looking and touching and admiring the beautiful wonders they had there.
It was a day I will never forget. I feel so blessed and lucky. To top
off everything last night, we were able to teach Fratello Dall'Antonia's
aunt, Lietta, and she was so sweet and open. I am happy to help give
her some peace. Saturday Vincenza will get
baptized and we are so happy. She is so ready and excited. Pray for her
and for us. Sorella Modugno has to speak and I have to do the musical
number. Just pray the spirit will be there and that everything will go
well. I love you all so much and send you tanti bacioni da Italia!
Sorella Lloyd
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment