Friday, August 17, 2012

August 16th

Boun giorno, tutti! Sitting here typing this morning I feel sort of thoughtful and reflective and full of a lot of different emotions. I have had a wonderful time this week, but I have also been learning a lot, about myself, about others, and about god. Last Wednesday we went to the area of Milan where everything is written in Chinese, all of the signs, everything, and ate at a Chinese restaurant with only Chinese people. It was the best Chinese food I have every had. Easily. We had a shrimp stir fry with soy noodles and a Chinese curry with spices like nutmeg and cinnamon that was like nothing I have ever had before, not to mention the steamed dumpling things that I adore. And it hardly cost anything. It was a winning day. Plus, we bought matching shirts that we wore yesterday to the addestramento. We are quirky.  The Garcia family did their first grand FHE and invited the Astudillo's and us as well as Akim. The spirit was there and we talked about tithing and their non member cousin agreed with everything. We ate Ecuadorian food that included a cold soup like dish with shrimp, tomatoes and a lot of cilantro. So yummy. One of our newer investigators, Maria, just wept with us at the park the other day because of her family difficulties, and I embraced her, hoping with all my heart it would help and that she would feel the spirit of comfort. Our message is exactly what she needs. Nothing heals the family like the gospel of Jesus Christ. Cristina, the mom of Dylan, Noemi, Giada, Siria, and Ahron, asked us to help her stop smoking so she can be re-baptized and then go to the temple with her family. It is the thing she wants most in the world, especially because Dylan wants to wait for her to be baptized with him. We have been praying for weeks for a way to help and this we she asked us to do it quickly, so we got everything together and made a plan with a great big calendar to get the whole family involved. They each have a responsibility, no matter how little they are, to help mom stop smoking, with the objective of being a family forever. It was really neat. I have faith it will work this time. We gave Cristina a book to write in when she needs to and filled it with scriptures and things to help. Their family is really special and I feel so blessed to be a part of their lives. I wish I had time to write about everyone, Giovanna, who is sharing the gospel and she is not even baptized, who is so filled with the love of God it amazes me, Jenny who is discovering for the first time a religion that speaks to her, that makes sense to her and is willing to read and ask God to guide her, talking with Anziano Capece about his incredible mission in Italy some 40 years ago and realizing I know a man he knew well, Gaia, Giovanna, and Josè, who shared their testimonies with us, Wilson who was so excited to receive the Book of Mormon, Beny who is struggling, but knows she needs to do what is right, though it is hard in this world (pray for her), Silvia who made us the most incredible lunch I have had in a while and was just like a light, so special, even in all the hardship she has had leaving an abusive husband and living in a home for mothers and youth with out homes, and seeing how happy she was to share her home with us, her heart with us, and learn all she could about the gospel, and so many more. There is an incredible work here, and the training yesterday during interviews just helped me see it even more, helped me see how I can be a part of it, how I can help and serve. President talked about how we are our own book of life, all of our thoughts and actions become written on our bodies on our hearts, and in the end we will gain a celestial body because that is what we become, a person celestial. Everything we think and do is written on who we are and we become that. It was incredible to think that, but it gave me a lot of perspective and I feel more capable and powerful knowing that everything I do is changing me, making me that person God knows I can become. Sorella Wolfgramm then talked about how we do these things and it is by having a Christ centered life, because when our life is centered on him, our will becomes his, we become more of who we really are and more like Him. I know that is true and that we can all do it, if we will proactively seek out a Christ like life, change our thoughts and actions and realize what power we have as children of god and that our value is something inherent, that we have had from the beginning, and as we develop our God-like characteristics, we will see who we really are and who we are meant to and capable of becoming. I just feel so ready to do more and be more and that is amazing that this work gives that kind of motivation, that holy and whole change. I love you all and just want to close with a scripture that has really touched me lately, Moroni 10:32.
 32 Yea, acome unto Christ, and be bperfected in him, and cdeny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and dlove God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be eperfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
I know that is true. His grace will perfect us, because it is sufficient, no matter how insufficient we are. Lots of love.
Sorella Chandra Lloyd

No comments: