Saturday, December 22, 2012

Krishtlindja (Christmas in Albanian)

So friends and family another week has gone by here in bustling Milano and what a busy delight it has been. Last week we had a marvelous time traveling the world at the fiera and trying delicious food from all over Italy and all over the world. We entered the part by great Britain and someone started playing the bagpipes. I literally ran through the crowd to find it. I wanted to cry it was so beautiful. I want to live there. We went all over Italy and ate olives, sauces, sweets, cheeses, meats,and breads and saw scores of wonderful things. That night the Capece's were here visiting and I felt like I was seeing family again. Thursday Sorella Padula called and said we would be doing another concert in Bergamo this Friday so Sorella brown and I are preparing a few things and I translated "over the rainbow" into Italian, so I am very excited. It even rhymes. Friday we went to visit Gaia and her mom and they surprised me, though I had already guessed, with a visit from Sorella Modugno! She gave me a necklace she bought her first transfer in Florence that is shaped like the fiordaliso, the symbol of Firenze. I love her. It snowed that afternoon and we took lots of pictures. It didn't stay long, but it put us in a Christmasy mood. During our scambio Sorella taught Breeda in Milano 3, who I had taught my one week there a year ago. she is from Ireland and she said that I was like St. Patrick because I feel Ireland "calling to me" as Sorella Brown said she put it. Monday we went to the lovely como for a great zone training meeting and learned a lot and enjoyed being together. We taught the Barbieri/Xhunga family and Gazzy's mom is here from Albania and though she speaks no Italian is sweet as can be and the whole family was so happy to have her. I tried to learn a few things to say in Albanian, but as of now am still unsuccessful. I just adore that family. Today we met the other sisters and went to see The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci. It was Amazing. I am not exaggerating in the least. I got chills the moment we walked into the room. It was captivating. I am not surprised it is famous. The lighting painted from the windows behind their faces was so clear and everything was beautiful. I love Italy. There is a tree now by the duomo and the whole city is decked in lights. We are very happy because miraculously Beny came to church on Sunday and is reading and making progress, and Dylan will be baptized January fifth. Miracles are happening here even if at times it seems like nothing is going right. I cried for a while the other night. I am so glad I have a wonderful companion who could just let me cry and then helped me out. It is hard for me at times to rely fully on the Lord. I either think I can do something myself or think there is no way I could do it even with His help, but neither thought is true. I have to have faith in Him and in me and be humble enough to recognize that it is okay that I need Him. Life was meant to be that way. I am profoundly grateful today that I don't have to do it alone, that he loves me despite of all of my failings, and that He has and will continue to make me who He wants me to be and give me chances to be an instrument for good. I am glad it doesn't end here. Because I will miss this special work and this beautiful place. I really feel at home here and I am glad that neither the work, nor the relationships I have with the people I love here must end. We can all continue in the work of the Lord, the work of loving and lifting his children. Lots of love,
Sorella Lloyd

No comments: