Thursday, December 6, 2012

Una nuova visione--A new vision

Disse la pioggia un dì..."non smetterò mai! " It is raining. A lot. We woke up to the rumbling sounds of an Italian diluvio or flood as I suddenly recall we say in English. I love the rain. I love my striped umbrella. I love singing. I love serving the Lord. I love all of these things together. Which is happening continuously the past few days. Quindi, sono contentissima. Last Friday we went to the doctor. Sorella Brown was finally feeling better but we chatted for a while with this 60 something American doctor in a blue and white striped shirt and bow tie. It was like an old movie. He prescribed Robitussin and hot water with vix vapor rub in it so the menthol steam could be breathed in. I love traditional remedies. He was funny. Sometimes. We went and saw Giovanna and the cute old lady she works for again and I sang, "Misty" for them. I think my companion thought I was crazy, but Signora Marzo certainly brightened up and Giovanna is as awesome as ever. I hope she can get baptized soon. She just still has to work on Sundays because Signora Marzo needs her. We keep praying. We had a good lesson with Dylan's family, but then he and his mom got into an argument and we had to sort of bring back the spirit. We were really sad when he wasn't at church because we thought he was still upset about the day before, but then we found out he was sick and though that is sad, we felt better knowing he had still wanted to come. Sunday we had thanksgiving dinner with the Friloux and Criscione families and they invited two other families they are friends with. It was good food and a beautiful time. One of the other families was Italian and they were so excited to have their first American thanksgiving. They have been to the states and love America and speak terrific English. Cristina, the wife, was really enthusiastic and really touched by our lesson. We talked about how god loves us and the gratitude we can show to him for what we have and we all took turns saying what we were grateful for and the spirit was really there. It was beautiful. While waiting to pick up Sorella Brown's permesso we met a cute girl from Cina  who only spoke English. She doesn't believe in God but is curious about Christianity and after a good chat we got her number and hope to see her this week. We met two charismatic vacuum salesman from Napoli while doing casa. It was funny because we were ringing bells and they were just coming out from knocking doors in the same palazzo. They were really funny and we had a great conversation until they decided to talk again about vacuums. One of them gave me his number with the promise we could talk more about them, maybe over dinner. It was almost sweet. Until he joked I'd have to pay. I am so glad I am a missionary. We had a great lesson with Franca Zocchi and her family and helped her cute daughter Giulia with a little English and then we had a chat with Cristina yesterday because she was a little discouraged after finally talking to the bishop. But all is well, because she wants to start over with her no smoking program and do all she can to quit and she said she wants to talk to Dylan so he will go ahead and get baptized anyway, even if he can't do it with her. I know that isn't easy for either of them, but I know they will see so many blessings for it. We were not expecting her to say that, but I am grateful. I think Dylan really needs it, especially now, while he feels ready. My companion and I have been talking a lot about repentance and relying on the Lord and seeing ourselves as god sees us and I just want to leave you all with something she said that really summed it up for me and helped me out a lot. She said, "Seeing yourself how God sees you. That's true repentance." And it is. Repentance changes our desires and our vision of God, the world, who we are, and who we were meant to become. That is why that daily commitment to be better helps us so much. My invite to all of you is to try it out. to use repentance as a tool to see yourself as you really are, as God created you, and be happy in that knowledge and in the changes you are making. 
Con affetto,
Sorella Chandra Lloyd

No comments: