Thursday, December 6, 2012

Offerte e talenti--Offers and Talent



Ciao cari miei! Yet another week that has flown by in a flurry and I can hardly remember any of it. Here I am sitting at the internet point wanting to share everything that happened, and I realize I left my planner at home. Sad day. I take notes in that blessed little thing. I feel lost without it. I think my brain has been working too much lately. It is on overdrive and the memory is failing. Anyway, it has been a lovely week. It is tremendously cold at times, but at least the sun is out. Last week we had some fun at the mall where Sorella bought some lovely boots. Thursday she had an asthma attack and was suffering from some exhaustion so we were ordered back to the doctor the next day, but all is well. Friday we saw Jessica and her daughter Helen. We taught principles from the young women theme and talked about how they help us endure and become like our father in heaven. It was lovely. We taught Giovanna on Saturday and we brought the gospel art book. She showed the pictures to Signora Marzo and when they got to the end Signora Marzo said, "chi sono questi vecchietti?" "Who are all these old men?" Giovanna was rolling on the floor with laughter and as we all regained the ability to talk without laughing we explained they were prophets. Even the Signora was laughing. It really brightened up the place. who knew pictures of "old men" could do that? We taught Lin Jiamu, the adorable Chinese girl we met at the questura. She flat out told us she did not believe in God and didn't really care, but we told her she was a daughter of God and she said "and I just don't know it?" and I said "Yes!" She said she would read the Book of Mormon and pray even though it is something she has never done before. It was AWESOME. Sunday I was translating during sacrament meeting and fllo Scolletta brought up his daughter and said he brought her because "mi serve" which means "she serves me" like "I need to use her". I, humorously said something mildly stupid because I couldn't think of an English equivalent and said she is helpful or useful in a phrase that likely wasn't English. An American member that speaks Italian turned around and kind of chuckled. Sometimes I am brilliant. We finally saw this cute inactive girl, Alice. I hope we were able to bring the spirit and that she could feel the love of God. I think that is what she needed. I hope she comes Sunday. We met a referral, Chantal, who is beautiful and amazing and we are so excited to teach her. We taught the gospel to Rosa, Sabrina, e Katy and Katy is so excited to get baptized when she turns eight. She keeps saying how she is the only one left to do it. She is very bright. They gave me some temporary boots to use until I can find some new ones, since my others broke and nearly caused me to fall into traffic and break various parts of my body. At least I can walk in safety now. Today we are going to a fair with booths and artisan works and food from every region in Italia and various parts of the world. I am so excited! Monday in district meeting I had been asked to give the spiritual thought so I sang the song, "God bless your way" by Hilary Weeks and talked about offering all we can offer. I have been thinking about that a lot lately because sometimes I feel like all I have to offer is very meager, like I haven't done or given enough, but then I think of a talk by Bruce C. Hafen called "The Atonement: All for All" and I remember he talks about how we must give our all because that is what is required, but that even when we give our all, it is never enough, it is always, by itself, just an almost, until it is finished by him who is the finisher of our faith. It is only then that our imperfect, but consecrated almost is enough. And I know that is true. My companion compares it to the man with two talents in the bible, at the end, he didn't even have as many talents as the first man did in the beginning, but he still gave his all, he still grew, and he gains the same prize. I don't have to be a perfect missionary. I don't even have to be as good as the ones I  know, but I need to to what I can. I hope I have. I know that He will make my all that is only an almost in the great scheme of things, enough. And I am incredibly grateful for that. Because it matters an awful lot to me. Remember He loves you and will help you if you seek him. 
con affetto,
Sorella Lloyd

No comments: