Thursday, October 20, 2011

Firenze, Firenze!

Here I am again sitting in a little Internet point near the train station and pondering on the many things that have happened and all of the little miracles we have seen this past week. Last Wednesday we went to the Uffizi with Jed and Michelle, the couple on their honeymoon, and it was absolutely lovely. We saw Botticelli's Birth of Venus and his painting of spring, among other wonders of Italian artistry. I was amazed. I love art and museums. Aren't I lucky to live in a city that is full of them? Truly, it is one itself. Sorella Bishop and I stopped to get panini at an outdoor stand and the man working there gave us tripe to try for free because he thought it tragic we had never had it before. In Italy, it always pays to ask what something is or what they like because often, they will help you experience it. And tripe is not bad. We also went to the Disney store, which in a sweet way reminded me of home. Sometimes I feel like a five-year-old child and every moment I experience life I realize it is full of more wonder than I imagined. We had a scambio this week (a companion exchange) with the sisters from the office in Milan and it was amazing. I learned so much! I feel so much more capable as a missionary and as a person. I never need to worry as long as I am doing my best. I love you Sorelle Burgoyne and Smith! The Anziani had a baptism on Saturday that we were able to attend and it was a beautiful experience. Blanchard was baptized and has such a beautifully strong testimony, he just glows. Now he is helping convert everyone he knows. I love seeing that! Sunday, Michele came to church for the first time! It was a miraculous and unique experience for both him and me. Him, because he had never been to our church before (he is catholic) and had a million questions, and for me because I had to try to answer them. He is incredibly receptive to everything and so friendly, he was introducing himself to everyone without my help. It just felt so good to see that happening, to see him working to change. Yesterday, miracle of miracles, we set a baptismal date with Erica! She still wants to pray for a response to know baptism is right for her, which I understand is difficult at 87, but now we have a goal and that is an absolutely extraordinary and necessary step! I know the Lord will answer her. I know she can do it. I am so excited and happy for her I can hardly contain myself. We also taught a few lessons with our sweet friend Janaina (a member here from Brazil) and I am so grateful to have had her there. Member lessons are so important! If any of you that read this have the opportunity to go with the missionaries, do it! It helps them, it helps the investigator, and you will see so many blessings from helping a child of God come unto Him. They need to meet people that live it. It is so beautiful, this gospel. I have gained a greater appreciation for the restoration and for the simplicity of the Gospel of Christ this week. I am learning to let things go, to live without fearing or fretting, to trust in the Lord, to take hold of my mission, of my life, and make it what I want it to be and more importantly, what He wants me to become. I am creating a partnership with the Lord and doing His work with Him, trying to make my will His. It is not always easy, but I am so grateful for this opportunity to grow and to appreciate who I am, to be a better version of myself every day. Be happy everyone. La vita รจ bella e gioiosa. Make your dreams come true and help others do the same. I love this work!