Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Un giorno di riposo - A Day of Rest

Buongiorno cari!  (Hello dear!
I have had an incredible week. Truly. Every day is such a wonderful little miracle here in a place with a beauty that words fail to describe doing a work worth more than all the treasures of the earth. The Lord is teaching me so much this week. We had to run some errands Saturday morning and were worried that it would take too much time doing something we usually only do on p-day and we wouldn't get to find and teach, but the Lord blessed us incredibly. We taught three lessons on the street on our way to and from the cartoleria and grocery store. It was amazing. Heavenly Father is so mindful of us. We went to Prato to watch the Relief Society broadcast and the First session of General Conference, and it was just so nice. Sunday was beautiful as well and we were able to see the next two sessions of General conference. I took pages of notes and was taught by the spirit in so many ways. It helped me in ways I didn't know I needed. I finished my vision for myself for the end of this transfer and decided that what I need most is to rely on the Lord all of the time. I am learning slowly just how much I need him and how much He is mindful of me and loves me. I am working on serving others more wholeheartedly and truly losing myself in their service. I want to love them like He does. I hope I do. The people here really need to feel and be reminded of His love. Monday we had a terrific district meeting and we talked about baptism and how important it is and I just felt like taking on the world afterward. The last couple days have been roller coasters of emotion but I have seen the little beautiful ways the Lord blesses us. Monday we were down near centro and Sorella Bishop said she would really like a gelato and then we ran into a couple of members who bought us gelato, and I know it made their day. I think Sorella Bishop has a gift because that is not the only time we have gotten free food. Yesterday we had to go to the questura to do fingerprinting for my permesso di soggiorno and we were there for seven hours, but we talked to a lot of different and amazing people. During our wait, we left for a little while because my number was one hundred more down the line and bought my first kebab piadina for lunch. It was surprisingly delicious and just a touch spicy. So good. We got amazing crepes at a little place called triangolo delle bermuda and talked to Tuglio who I believe is the owner and by the end of our visit, we had his crepe recipe, an invitation for a free gelato, and he had a Book of Mormon. It was incredible. Last night we did casa and got in at the first bell and taught a great lesson and plan to return to a beautiful little family who lives there. After English class we went for a walk to see if we could find people and stumbled onto this osteria and decided to see what their hours were so we could come back one day, they showed us around and we let their little boy take pictures with our camera and then they gave us free gnocchi in an incredible sauce. We didn't know exactly why we had to go there, but we know it was what we were supposed to be doing. We went back today and gave them a Book of Mormon and had a tasty lunch. We don't know how it will turn out, but I have such a strong feeling it was important. I am so grateful we can be guided by the spirit even in the little things. I was struggling with myself the last few days, wanting so desperately to do all I can and to improve and feeling incredibly inadequate, but my wonderful companion, being very in tune with the Spirit, knew exactly what to say. She said to embrace who I am right now and use it in this work, that is how I will forget myself in this work, by embracing who I am right now. She said the Lord sent me here right now, exactly as I am for a reason, and He intends me to be me, to use what he has given me. I need to find out who I am, my strengths as well as my obvious weaknesses, recognize how much the Lord loves me for me and then go at the work wholeheartedly. I won't have to worry about being enough if I can recognize that there are reasons I am imperfect right now, and these people need ME as I am, my personality and the gifts God has given me. He will make me exactly perfect for the work I need to do at every moment. I just have to trust that. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but it is comforting to know, the Lord trusts me as I am and when I stop worrying, he will change me while I am not looking. I plan to go at this work with all that I am and just love people with my whole heart right away. It is time to be unafraid and enjoy every minute I have here, loving every experience, every person, and every challenge. I am grateful for the struggle that teaches me more than I can say. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for the spirit, my companion, and his love that covers my failings. Pray often. We all need Him close. Sempre vicino a te, dolce Signor. I love you all so much! Keep praying for the Italians and for this work to progress. I am incredibly happy and brimming with an energy for this opportunity to really connect with people that just fills my heart. I am so excited because this work is a joy and a blessing and every day is a miracle.  D & C 61:36 "And now, verily I say unto you, and what I say unto one I say unto all, be of good acheerblittle children; for I am in your cmidst, and I have not dforsaken you;" He is always with us! Please remember how much he loves you and if you don't feel it now, turn to him and ask. He will tell you. Ciao!

No comments: